Wednesday 10 July 2013

Match Markers: Week 1 - 10th July.

Match Markers, a series where several matches are played in one day, with predictions and general info to boot. Enjoy!

Many countries came to fight: only one will come out victorious. In Week 1 of the Nations Cup, the maps being played are pl_badwater, and cp_steel. Both popular Highlander maps in ETF2L, UGC and Wireplay, teams should be accustomed to maps that have been around for a while. For the 14 teams playing today, 6 points are up for grabs. It could go 3-3. 4-2. 5-1. Maybe the classic 6-0 we see so often. But how will it turn out, ladies and gents? Well, you'll have to tune in to the streams, or wait until the results are published. Enjoy the first installment of Match Markers!

Group A: Slovakia vs. France

Arguably quite a big skill gap in Group A, Slovakia have most likely the toughest opponent in their group first off in Week 1. Although, I haven't seen the French practice much so far - no logs indicate any sign of dedicated practice, but France could be keeping it quiet. As previously mentioned, I think Slovakia have the hardest challenge in Group A, just because of past experience from the other 3 teams in their group. If France turn up to the game warmed up, I think it'll be a pretty quick game, although 2 rounds of Badwater and 2 rounds of Steel still could take a long time. But, France, the 2nd place from last season, won't be going into this Nations Cup lax. Whilst a relatively unknown team of Slovakia could pose little threat, they still could give the French a run for their money. I'm still calling France to take this as a 6-0 victory, but I think the Slovaks will put up a little resistance.

Slovakia 0 - 6 France


Group B: Austria vs. Croatia

Both teams, to myself, look like underdogs. So this could be an interesting match to see due to the fact the teams didn't do so great last Cup. For the maps, I think it would be relatively equal - players like Weinzey on Austria and Candle for Croatia would certainly provide great entertainment for any viewer. The Austrians have a lot of 6v6 players on their team, as well as some dedicated Highlander players. In particular, Tommi playing in Div 3/4 6v6, and Div 3 Highlander, giving Austria a big firepower. Conversely, the team Guru Gaming from 6v6 has moved some of its players over to Croatia, lending the team more of a variety of players. To me, both these teams are relatively unknown, and I'd get to know more as the Cup progresses. But, I can say now, I think Austria will take a win on this, although Croatia will pick up a couple of points. The Austrians look like they have a solid roster, and are hopefully looking to do well in this Nations Cup. I think on a map like Badwater, the core 6v6 classes can do some solid work with damage output and frags, thus I think Austria will get an advantage over the Croatians. I'm going to say a 4-2 in Austria's terms.

Austria 4 - 2 Croatia  

Group C: Hungary vs. Poland

I actually got invited to watch this game, but sadly I could not view it. I feel like Poland have come to this Nations Cup a lot more prepared, and with a lot more players to choose from. Several players from the ex-Premiership/Division 1 team, Max-Play, open up Poland to a lot more variety in their plays. In particular, Steve, who is claimed to be one of the best Pyros Europe has ever seen after his adventures in Premiership and beyond. Wonder and Phroblem, also both notorious for their Scout and Sniper plays respectively, in particular Phroblem, who has had several calls out for hacking. But he doesn't. That means he's good. Anyway, over on Hungary, the Hungarians look to be... odd. I feel like the potential is there to have a good go at scraping a few points off of Poland, but sadly, I don't think it'll happen. To my knowledge, I know the Polish have scrimmed a couple of times, giving them advantages. And Phroblem on Badwater 1st? Fuck me, I'd be so scared to venture out of spawn. Poland are going to come out hot from this one, so I predict a 6-0.

Hungary 0 - 6 Poland


Group D: Finland vs. Belgium

If Finland weren't so damn good at this game, then I'd call it pretty close. But sadly no. Damn Finns are so good at everything. Anyway, going into their first match, Finland have an easy ride. The variety of high-level 6v6 and Highlander players give the Finns an advantage over Belgium. Badwater has always been a nice map for Spies and Snipers, so Rake and SabaSaba, both well known in 6v6 and Highlander respectively, will have a blast. Possibly on Steel too, if they manage to get past the Belgian combo. Conversely, I feel Belgium have potential to go for points this Cup, but against Finland? Maybe not today. Whilst Droso, Prophet and Ni-Pur Ling Ling provide great DM and support for Belgium, their core of players, to me, seems weaker than Finland. Kurates and Muffinz both come from very experienced backgrounds, and should know the trials and tribulations that come through this Nations Cup. I think Finland will take it pretty convincingly, but the Belgians will have something to show against them. A 6-0 for Finland.

Finland 6 - 0 Belgium


Group F: England vs. Spain

I'm torn here. I live in England, but I have Spanish origins. Why do you do this to me, ETF2L? Plague me with torture and disgust? But, I have to make a decision. Starting with Spain, their roster mainly consists of the newly-reformed 27. A solid group of pure Spanish players that managed to win Division 1 and 2 back in the earlier Highlander seasons. One person who sticks out from that team, Pl0, who is mental enough to name most of his items "27", has been around for a while in the TF2 scene, as well as most of Spain. However, England have a point to prove. Some players have come from the ever-dominant SNSD, with a few ragtags from mainly 6v6 backgrounds. Kaidus and his men certainly have a point to prove throughout the Cup as it progresses, and they might be stumped by a Spanish that, on paper, don't look as strong, but have some solid teamwork and communication skills. However, that won't stop England. I have a feeling this game will be pretty one-sided, although 2 rounds of Badwater AND Steel would just kill me. Expect England to provide some great entertainment on the streams, and for Spain to give it their all. I'm expecting England to win this, with some Spanish passion flow through their veins.

England 5 - 1 Spain


Group G: Estonia vs. Italy

These 2 teams and their captains I've known for a while. They're passionate about the game and are always looking to improve. Italy, whilst packed with a roster last Cup, only scored 1 point out of a possible 18. Not good, is it. Fortunately, they've revamped the roster they've carefully built, with additions of high-level 6v6 players. Raine, Carnifex and Rock should certainly prove that Italy have returned as a strong nation in this Nations Cup. I'd love to call this the match of the day, but we'll see what it brings. For Estonia, I think it'll be an uphill struggle. Whilst not necessarily having the players to counter Italy, I think there may be some issues with the team itself, but that's just me. Estonia are probably going into this match as the underdogs, but they might not be. Players like OhYeah and Ocx. give Estonia big DM powers through their 6v6 classes, and I think this'll shine on King of the Hill maps and 5CP maps. Expect it to be slightly close, but I have a feeling Italy can get the advantage on points. Players who have played together for so long like F0rest, Matrix and F0rest help Italy by providing a solid combo of players. I think it'll be a 4-2 to Italy.

Estonia 2 - 4 Italy


Group H: Denmark vs. Ireland

Another match that could go either way, both teams are looking to score high in the initial early stages. For Denmark, their 6v6 players, like F2 and Quad must intimidate Ireland in some way. Their presence in 6v6 should transfer over to the Highlander metagame and format, no? Or is that just me being awe-inspired by their skill. Moving on, Denmark with their lack of proper "Highlander" players may make it slightly harder on a map like Steel. For Badwater, I could see the Danish winning pretty convincingly. Conversely, for Ireland, they've practiced a lot for the first match. In PCWs against the likes of Belarus, they've performed... shoddy, to say the least. Ireland have the players, but the teamwork and co-ordination? No clue. With their high-level HL players like Bulow, Day, B33p and MurlocJonny, they have the experience to show that the Irish can contest. Sadly I think time will tell whether Ireland can pull up their socks to try and get out of the group stages this time. Although Denmark will probably win this, I have a feeling Ireland will come out all-guns blazing, and at least pick up a point. Which is why I'm predicting a 5-1 to Denmark. In this case, DANMARK VINDER!

Denmark 5 - 1 Ireland


Cheers for tuning into the first installment of Match Markers. The purpose of "MM" is to get a roundup of all the matches played on one particular day, and my predictions. Stay tuned for Saturday, where there will be a recap of all the matches played, and the current standings. See you there!

~TJB

No comments:

Post a Comment